It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:45 am

Time for a Change 
HoBo
HoBo

Post Time for a Change
For those of you who weren't online last night, my 'puter is broke. Basically my CPU temp is topping out and when I opened her up I discovered that the after-market CPU fan isn't sitting flush against the CPU. Normally the answer would be to get a new fan but I'm actually thinking that this might be the signal to change.

This computer is now over 6 years old. Granted, it's had:
- 1 new case
- 1 new CPU
- 2 RAM upgrades
- 2 GPU upgrades
- additional HDDs all over the place
- 2 CPU fan replacements

With all that going on, the ONLY originaly components are the original HDD and the mobo itself so I'm thinking maybe the fan won't be so easy to fix once I get in there and unscrew everything for the hundredth time.

The Graphics card probably OK (ATI Radeon HD5800 1Gb) but could withstand a new CPU, mobo, DDR3 RAM and to finally install the SSD I’ve had a for a few months (not been bothered to rebuild and reinstall). Power supply (800w) and case are probably OK too. I’ll probably stick with the single graphics card but maybe there’s a case to be made for SLI? I’ve never really looked into it.

What I’m after therefore are recommendations for CPU and motherboard combinations (and RAM as well if there’s going to be a reason to differentiate from what I can get at the time). Thanks.

Medals: 7
Ken's Mum (1) HoBo Service (1) LOL Gold (1) HoBoCoN '07 (1) HoBoCoN '08 (1) HoBoCoN '10 (1)
HoBoCoN '10 Playa (1)

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Cardboard Tennant
Cardboard Tennant

Post Re: Time for a Change
My opinion mate. Others may have differing opinions.

You'll be just as well off both in Tech and in Pocket by hanging with socket 1155 still.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=20138
The Socket 2011 gear is still way overpriced IMHO.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=18759
So I'd honestly say...

3570"k" CPU so if you "Ever" decide that you need to increase performance easily, you can.

Z77 Motherboard of decent repute, Asus, Gigabyte (Could be around $250 - $350 for a good one, maybe more) or less for something more simplistic. I tend to lean toward the middle of the spectrum for headroom and expansion possibilities.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=21146
The motherboard you need will also depend a lot on the internals you need to keep (Expansion:- sound cards e.t.c.) PCI / PCIe. I've dumped my great sound card due to no PCI slots on my new(ish) Motherboard.

RAM... I'll get back to you. Things have changed between my setup and Z77 (only a little tho) Apparently anything more than 1600MHz RAM is wasted and works the CPU IMC harder than it needs to. Can't really say that I know a great deal about this, but I'm parroting what I've read a little.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=18373
:NOTFAir: Hell... If you decided this last week, I would have sent you my kit at a "HoBo" Rate. i5 2500k (Basically BNIB) and my old (but great) motherboard Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3. Great gear, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to play with the new graphical bios from Asus.

Medals: 2
HoBo Service (1) HoBoCoN Winter '09 (1)

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 pm
HoBo
HoBo

Cheers Sarge. Internals will be:
- no sound. Dispensed with SB a few years ago for space purposes but haven't really noticed any difference. I usually play through the headphones anyway.
- Will have the SSD and 1.5Tb drives plus maybe an old 300Gb one or two just for kicks.

Was looking at an Asus Z77 yesterday for $149 so maybe I'll need more in the way of expansion (seems cheap). Had problems with the last Gigabyte mobo I bought so a bit cautious...

Will continue research this evening but thanks for the info so far!

Ken's Mum (1) HoBo Service (1) LOL Gold (1) HoBoCoN '07 (1) HoBoCoN '08 (1) HoBoCoN '10 (1)
HoBoCoN '10 Playa (1)

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 pm
Cardboard Tennant
Cardboard Tennant

Post Time for a Change
Depending on your budget mate, Asus maximus or rampage range is a great enthusiasts product with a lot of support and apparently great warranty. The Maximus V Gene lacks expansion slots, where the Max V Extreme is essentially the same but better options.

If for any reason your graphics card isn't up to scratch and you like the Radeon Cards, the HD7950, HD7970 would be where I would aim,

Asrock boards seem to be cheap and all over the market, but I've never had one and people seem to bag them out a little for their pricing point alone, not sure how they fare against the "others".

My last board was a gigabyte and it was brilliant. My partners setup is a gigabyte board also and it works a treat. I do understand what you're saying tho, a bad taste is a bad taste.

gather a list of prospects mate and flip them up so we can compare the plus and minus points for what you need.

If you are only running on board sound and no expansion cards, it's a magical world of goodness out there. If you do a lot of rendering and encoding and time is of the essence, the CPU will need to be looked at harder. If you wish to pass your system down the food chain as I have been known to, you can look into a whole big build session

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:58 pm
Vagabond
Vagabond

steve_sarge wrote:
Asrock boards seem to be cheap and all over the market, but I've never had one and people seem to bag them out a little for their pricing point alone, not sure how they fare against the "others".

My last 2 boards have been Asrock. I rate them. Good value for money.

HoBoCoN '08 (1) HoBocon 2012 (1)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Profile Send private message
Cardboard Tennant
Cardboard Tennant

CentreOfSeenBodyMass wrote:
My last 2 boards have been Asrock. I rate them. Good value for money.

They're a good looking board too. They have Jonathan "Fatality" Wendell's (Spelling?) name on the enthusiast range too, so I would assume they have the "Gamer" in mind.

I can't comment as I haven't read positive or negative about them. If you can plug your goodies in and they work well together, that's all 99% of us need. I play around with settings to be a wanker, but that's my thing.

The beauty of the "K" series of Intel CPUs is they are designed to be easily enhanced and Intel supports it (they even offer a $30 odd insurance policy in case of Overclocking failure). I can run my 3.3GHz CPU at 4.5 - 5GHz if I want (have enjoyed a mess around) But can easily run it at 4.5GHz everyday.

The increase to around 4.2GHz really improves game running with my graphics card. If my graphics card was smaller, I wouldn't really benefit from it.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:44 pm
HoBo
HoBo

OK - started with motherboards. Right now it's a toss up between the Asus Sabertooth Z77 ($249) and the Asus P8Z77-V-LE-PLUS ($175). It looks like the Sabertooth might be better for thermal options but since I'm not planning on overclocking too much it might be a bit of overkill and the P8 seems to have a bunch more options.

HoBoCoN '10 Playa (1)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:06 pm
Cardboard Tennant
Cardboard Tennant

Post Time for a Change
Pretty sure the saber tooth is better for dust as well mate. The P8 I think is a cracking board, so both should serve you well. If there is an RoG board in your price range, they are the flagship.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:40 pm
HoBo
HoBo

The Maximus-V-GENE is $255 but not sure I'd take advantage of the features there. If I'm not overclocking all the time then maybe I'm wasting my cash.

You're right about the dust but that's not usually a problem - thought it was just a gimmick.

Update - Looking at the i5 3570K and 16Gb (8x2) DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance RAM. Cooling interesting. It looks like the Corsair H series fits nicely into the Corsair cases but maybe not so well into my Antec 9001 so no easy solution there....

HoBoCoN '10 Playa (1)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:39 pm
Wino
Wino

I have installed a Cosair H80 into an NZXT case....fitted no issues at all and running super cool...

Medals: 3
HoBo Service (1) HoBoCoN '07 (1) HoBoCoN Winter '09 (1)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:26 pm
Profile Send private message